Activities for Cinco de Mayo
To Get Your Party Jumping
Activities for Cinco de Mayo should build an exciting rhythm to add to the party mood. Can't you just feel the rhythm of your Cinco de Mayo party? Well, if not, that's a problem, and you definitely need to keep reading!
With hysterical entertaining activities, energizing music, and lots of dancing, your party is sure to be a hit. So get ready to throw the best Cinco de Mayo party ever!
Great activities for Cinco de Mayo start with great Cinco de Mayo party ideas. What better way to get the party started than with fabulous music?
You can go the route of hiring a traditional mariachi band. Or you can always make use of modern technology and create a playlist of your favorite Latin music. The point is to get folks' hips moving, so remember, turn the music up loud—you want to feel it thumping in your chest and coursing through your body. Here are a few songs to consider adding to your repertoire:
- "Lo Mejor De Mi Vida Eres Tú" by Ricky Martin with Natalia Jiménez
- "Mentira" by Los Amigos Invisibles
- "Guerrero" by Rebolledo
- "Livin' La Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin
- "El Motivo" by 60 Tigres
- "Bailam" by Enrique Iglesias
- "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You" by Gloria Estefan
- "Suerte" by Jason Mraz and Ximena Sariñana
- "Han Cojido La Cosa" by Grupo Niche
- "Aprende A Querer" by Spanish Harlem Orchestra
- "Ahi Na' Ma'" by Los Soneros De Barrio
- "Quiero Salsa" by José Alberto "El Canario"
- "Ella Tiene Fuego" by Celia Cruz
The greatest activities for Cinco de Mayo are the ones that reflect the energy of the day. Salsa dancing falls into that category perfectly! Besides, you have all that great Cinco de Mayo music you need to put to good use, right?
Ask the women to come in dresses that swirl when they twirl, and the men in nice shirts and dress pants. Now, all you need is someone to teach you how.
If one of your guests is skilled at dancing salsa and willing to help, then you're in luck. Otherwise, call a local dance studio and get that salsa specialist over to your house RIGHT NOW. Giving yourself over to the music and dance is one Cinco de Mayo party idea that can give you pleasure for years to come!
Activities for Cinco de Mayo should always include giving someone a big stick and letting them try to hit something while blindfolded. That's right, what would your Cinco de Mayo party be without a piñata? Safer, that's what, but how much fun would that be? So get ready to swing that stick and bash a piñata shaped like one of these:
- Bowl of Chips
- Margarita Glass
Fill the piñata with all of your favorite candies. Pick out an area with plenty of space for swinging without breaking anything (except the piñata, of course). Hang it securely and let the bashing begin!
Lucha Libre (Free Wrestling) is huge, making this activity probably the most fun of all the Cinco de Mayo activities. You can create your own costume or buy one. What's really cool is that there are so many to choose from that everyone can have their own identity. To create your own:
- Buy plain masks in various colors.
- Using card stock, create templates for your guests for eyes, nose, and mouth outlines. Make sure you have 3 or 4 variations of each facial feature. You'll probably want even more templates to choose from for the eyes. Buy capital letter templates to have on hand as well so your guests can stencil their initials on their foreheads.
- Trace the templates onto the back of sticky-backed felt or vinyl.
- Cut out the facial features and adhere them to the masks.
- Add tights, body suits, tight short shorts, and a cape.
- Now line up everyone for pictures and judging. The winner gets an oversized, bedazzled Margarita glass!
As activities for Cinco de Mayo go, this one is really best if you have a real live Chihuahua. But, if you're like me and have 2 big dopey Labs, you're going to need to improvise, like so:
- Instruct each guest to get a Chihuahua stuffed animal—one that is the size of a live Chihuahau works best—and pretend it's real. Seems easy enough, right?
- Each person needs to come up with an outrageous theme, collar (rhinestones for me, of course), and/or a costume.
- Have everyone bring their little critters to the party. Make sure you leave room on the party table for the Chihuahuas. As your guests come in, have them put their doggies—the stuffed ones, that is—at their place settings. These will lead to some really funny conversations at the table, trust me.
Return from Activities for Cinco de Mayo
to Cinco De Mayo Party Ideas